Smore Cookie Bars

6/27/2012



          Adapted ingredients
  • 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
  • 1/4 cup golden sugar
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 1/3 cups self raising flour
  • 3/4 cup digestive biscuits bashed to crumbs with a rolling pin :) (in a sandwich bag) 
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • roughly 200g Cadbury Dairy Milk Chocolate (I bought a 400g bar just in case)
  • 1 packet melted marshmallows (zap in the microwave in a glass bowl for roughly 10seconds)


Turns out self raising flour is all purpose flour with bicarbonate of soda in it! Who knew! I know the original recipe said not to use melted marshmallows but our local supermarket does not sell Fluff. I know Asda does, but the nearest one is 30mins drive. So we bought 89p marshmallows and hoped for the best. They melted beautifully! Tasted delicious too! :D 


The first part is simply a cookie dough, lovely enough to use on it's own to make cookies with (obviously add chocolate or something if you do :) ). I used an electric whisk. I always whisk my cake mixtures as it makes them so light and fluffy that I'm in the habit of it and didn't even question my choice until after I whisked this dough up. Worked perfectly fine :). 




Broke and neatly placed the Cadbury chocolate. You could try it with Cadbury Caramel to make it extra sugary if you fancied! But it is already pretty hardcore.



The marshmallows looked so good! Had to be quick though, as it set into a great sticky mess a few seconds after I spooned it all on!





For the first layer we managed to spread the dough with a spoon (we as I need my Mum's help to hold the baking paper in place so I wasn't just moving the whole thing about), but that would've been a massive fail with this layer due to the super sticky marshmallow, so I broke it up and placed it on top. Managed to cover it all :). 



At first I was worried about how many bars it would make. The recipe said 16 but the dough looked so little. Turns out that it spread considerably in the oven and we managed 20 bars!



I tried it with mint ice cream at first, but it tastes so lush on it's own! Let it cool slightly (still warm). Straight out the oven, the marshmallow is burning hot! Not fun for your mouth :').



The 'pockets' of chocolate in my opinion were the best part. All hail Cadburys!  

         Adapted Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Lay a semi deep rectangular baking tray with baking paper. 
  2. In a large bowl, cream together butter and both sugars until light. Beat in egg and vanilla. 
  3. In another bowl, whisk together flour, digestive biscuit crumbs and salt. Add to butter mixture and mix at a low speed until combined. (Although I think it'd be fine if you just wacked it all in together as opposed to mixing it separately in two bowls, I don't see why they didn't. Plus it'd save on washing up.)
  4. Divide dough in half and press half of dough into an even layer on the bottom of the prepared baking tray. Place broken chocolate neatly over dough. 
  5. Place the marshmallows in a glass bowl and zap in the microwave for roughly 10 seconds. Spoon this beauty onto of the chocolate layer fairly quickly before it gets too sticky to work with.
  6. Place remaining dough in a single layer on top of the fluff (most easily achieved by flattening the dough into small shingles and laying them together).
  7. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until lightly browned. Cut into bars then cool slightly before eating. I left mine in the tray (on the baking paper) to cool. Then used a spoon to get them out to eat. You may need to cut again slightly as the chocolate will begin to harden. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe