DIY Harem Pants to Ombre Waterfall Skirt

8/29/2012



Does anyone remember these hotties? They were pretty trendy a few years back. Harem pants or MC Hammer trousers :) whatever you wish to call them. I wore them a fair bit at the time but lately they've been reserved for chilling in the flat at uni and wearing as pyjamas. After lusting after all the incredible DIYs on various blogs & on pinterest I thought I'd try my hand at up-cycling these.  

It's my first ever proper clothing DIY project, (If you don't count making clothes for your toys out of socks when you're little *don't lie. You did it too.*) so I didn't really know what I was doing & hoped for the best. 


I started by using scissors to unpick the seams. These were only stitched on the inside of the leg. Getting rid of all the stitching right up to the crotch. I was left with two strips from the bottom of the trousers were they gripped my ankles which are no longer needed and, the main body. I laid it inside out on the floor, folding it so that the remaining stitching from the crotch alined with the sides that now had none.    

I started by using chalk to draw a line; getting rid of access material from the original crotch area, so that it could make a straight/normal seam line. These are to become the sides of the skirt. 


Using a sowing machine I created a zigzagged stitch to form the seams. I felt that it would be stronger and have more durability than a running stitch. We had no black thread and as the seams are along the inside, the white thread doesn't show though.

At first I planned to have a side slit. Then I decided that the skirt was a too awkward length for it to work aesthetically from the front. It was too short to be considered maxi, too long to be considered midi. As I had no black thread, creating a new hem wasn't an option. So I extended the seam the whole way down and opted for a waterfall skirt. 


Using others I owned as a guide and marking out where my knees sat, I drew a guideline to follow. Using scissors I then cut out the waterfall shaped hemline. I only made the front short enough to sit across my knees *this is to be in keeping with Mormon dress standards, check them out here* but feel free to cut it however short or long you fancy.


Yet how many people do we know with plain black waterfall skirts? A lot. Besides wearing black isn't really my thing. To bring it even more up to trend and much more my personal style, I used bleach to create an ombre effect. 

Doesn't this picture remind you of a Pokeball?

Such an easy, cheap DIY. I used our household mop bucket, half filling it with household cleaning bleach and warm water. I thew in a random amount of bleach, then squirted more ontop once I placed the skirt in the water. I took precautions by doing this part of the DIY outdoors. When the skirt was hung up I decided roughly how far up I wanted the ombre then lowered the skirt into the bleach&water filled bucket, leaving the hanger on the skirt to weigh down the material I didn't want in the solution. I used a stick to poke down any material that rose to the surface.

After leaving it in the solution for roughly 45minutes it went an orange colour with faded/white streaks, leaving quite a cool pattern. I expected it to go navy or grey then white. Not orange. I can't even tell you what the material is as there's no labels. It's a super soft jersey. The colouring reminds me halloween and so I did a little photoshoot at twilight, editing the pictures with a vintage, soft, blurry quality. I styled it slightly; it may look like a dress because it's paired with a black body/leotard. 

Finished Ombre Waterfall Skirt 
Front 

 Back

Photoshoot


You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Your skirt looks great, I love the rich Ombre shade :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it was such an experiment! I really didn't expect a colourful shade to appear :)

      Delete

Subscribe