Brownie Battles

9/11/2013

*Pink text: hyperlinks

As a university student I am blessed with a crazy FOUR MONTH summer holiday. However as I graduate next summer, I wanted to make this the best one yet and filled it with so many fun, worthwhile things. Namely working for two months, a two week trip to Sweden (including a visit to Denmark), training and being an EFY/SMYC Youth Counsellor, a three week Design Internship in London and a visit to Preston, leaving me only two, two week visits at my family home. I love my family dearly and while I'm only here for roughly two weeks I decided to baked lots of goodies for them before I disappear back to university! So in the last week I have baked Sophia a Carrot Cake for her thirteenth birthday, a Red Velvet cake because I wanted to see if it would actually be as red as it claimed and some brownies! 

Baking is such a relaxing, fun and delicious use of time. And it brings joy to others! *super bonus* However whenever I've tried to make brownies in the past they always turn into molten lava. No idea why. Cakes = beautifully yummy. Brownies = syrup. Why I cry?! Almost giving into the M&S packet mix which is sure to be incredible. I held out. Yet as I went to the local shop with Crystal to buy goodies, I crumble upon seeing so much chocolate on offer and *quickly* (struggling with 3G) google a Brownie recipe on our phones. Purchasing a bar of Cadbury Oreo, Milkybar and eggs, the plan took root. 

Considering brownies always fail me, you'd think I would follow a recipe carefully. Lies. I took the first recipe I found (from the BBC) and skimmed through it, changing things as I went along. The recipe took ages, but man did they smell and taste divine. 

BBC Best Ever Brownies - Kiera Edition

185g unsalted butter
100g Cadbury Oreo Chocolate Bar
100g Milkybar 
85g self-raising flour
40g cocoa powder
3 large eggs
275g mixture of golden caster sugar and muscovado sugar



  1. Preheat oven to: fan 160C/conventional 180C/gas 4. Use a shallow (20cm) tin and either line with baking paper or spread margarine/butter and dust with flour.
  2. Fill a small saucepan with water and bring to the boil. Rest a glass bowl over the water, ensuring it does not touch the surface. Fill the bowl with all the butter cut into small cubes, 40g (broken) Cadbury Oreo and 40g (broken) Milkybar. Stir as they melt. Remove glass bowl from saucepan and leave to cool to room temperature.  
  3. In a separate mixing bowl break the eggs and combine with all the sugar using an electric whisk until the mixture pales dramatically in colour and becomes the consistency of a milkshake. This takes quite a while, so electric whisk is best! Once it's thick enough to leave a 'trail' on the surface for a few seconds it is done.
  4. The butter/chocolate mixture should now be cool. Pour it into the mixing bowl and gently fold into the egg/sugar mixture. Be gentle, this is a lovely spongey brownie and it needs air. Fold under and over the mixture, bringing the two together. 
  5. Sieve the flour and cocoa powder into the mixture and continue gently folding the mixture together (the original recipe says to use a rubber spatular but I found a wooden spoon worked fine). The folding takes a while, but keep going! It should look an intense chocolate colour, be a dense, fudgey consistency and smell wicked.
  6. Chop the remaining chocolate into chunks and evenly mix in.
  7. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin, spreading it gently across and place in the oven for 25mins. Once cooked it should not wobble and a knife may be used to test the brownies, it should come away clear or with cake crumbs (not mixture!).  
  8. Cut into desired shapes/sizes, dish up and sprinkle with icing sugar! Now eatttt :D 


 *Next time I would use more Milkybar chunks

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe