Feels like Home

11/12/2013

*Pink text: hyperlinks
One of my sisters & I 

This past weekend I had the lovely opportunity to visit my family :). As my university city is almost 200 miles away, it was the first time visiting since the summer holidays. I am so grateful to have such a lovely family, home and house. Growing up we would often have friends comment on the 'feel' of our home and how it was different. I of course took it for granted and didn't quite know what they were talking about. 

Now in my final year of university and having thus lived away from home for almost three years, I completely know what they mean. Our family home is filled with love, security, support and most vitally, the Holy Spirit. 

"Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart troubled, neither let it be afraid." John 14:27

Simply being there I begin to feel different. More content, removed from the 'world', a deeper sense of happiness, in-tune with the Spirit and in turn personal revelation. Such a wonderful relief from the stresses of final year and constantly being surrounded by the cultural British university lifestyle.   

Recently Bernard and I were invited to dinner at our Senior Missionaries home (a married couple from America who have volunteered for eighteen months to serve both the people of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and all in the geographical Manchester Mission. They also run a wonderful blog where they record their mission experiences here). Being in their home is so wonderful. It reminds me so strongly of my family home and the incredible importance of creating a climate of spirituality, peace and joy where we all live. Difficult to create sometimes I know. 

Last year I was assigned to give a Talk in a church sacrament meeting about creating a Christ centred home as a Young Single Adult. Highly relevant (Heavenly Father definitely knows what he is doing). A few things I find helpful are often the obvious answers given e.g personal prayer, building a relationship with Heavenly Father (he is so unfathomably incredible), studying scriptures, striving to keep the commandments with a cheerful heart and a glad spirit, and listening to classical music. The reason these answers are given so often are because they truly work!! Nothing compares to a personal witness of the Saviours love, a relationship with him and truly knowing and living his doctrine.        

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe