Rainbow Cake Recipe

1/10/2014




I have wanted to bake this cake for SO long! The liquid food colouring bottles we've grown up with are simply not cut out for this bad boy and not wanting (or really needing to) fork out money to buy lots of gel food colouring from online or Hobbycraft, this cake remained but a dream. 

For Christmas Bernard bought me something from amazon. Something he said was in separate parts, that I'd be surprised at but have wanted for a long time. Mystified, I was mega excited upon opening it. It was a box selection of the gel food colourings! (Maybe he was secretly nudging me to bake for him more? haha)

I knew exactly what I wanted to bake. My mum's family were due to spend the day at ours for Boxing Day and we were each asked to share a talent. Christmas day I decided this cake would be mine! I baked all the sponges and waited until the next morning to buy the cream cheese needed for the icing. Unfortunately the family gathering was postponed due to illness and so my immediate family would simply have to enjoy this beauty alone!

While being home I love serving my family by baking for them. It is such an opportune time to make them smile, try out new recipes and fill their tummies with deliciousness! I am so pleased with how it turned out. In future I'll experiment with possibly more icing, adding vanilla (we ran out) and using smaller diameter cake tins, making it taller. This recipe is a mixture of many I've read online and my own changes.

Cake
350g Self raising flour 
250g Butter/margarine 
6 Eggs 
350g Caster sugar
Assortment of gel food colourings

Icing 
200g Cream cheese
25g Butter
500g Icing sugar

1. Reheat the oven to 180 oC (fan assisted ovens). 

2. In a bowl cream together the butter and the sugar.

3. Gradually sift in the flour and the eggs, mixing as you go. 

4. Pour equal amounts of mixture into six bowls/containers and add the food colouring, mix in and create the colours of your dreams. 

5. Flour and butter the cake tins to prevent the cakes from sticking.

6. Reusing however many cake tins you have, bake all six sponges. (I did two at a time) Each cake takes 15-20mins if using a regular sized cake tin, the sponges will be quite thin. Use a wooden skewer/tooth pick or knife to check if the cake is cooked. Once it comes away without liquid, you're good to go.

7. Make icing while the cake cools, by gradually whisking together all ingredients. Sifting the icing sugar and ensuring the cream cheese and butter are soft. Cut the butter into pieces. Change the amounts as desired to your taste preferences. 

8. Layer the cake, spreading a thin amount of icing between each layer. 

9. Ice the top and the outside, be generous. 

10. Add Hundreds and Thousands or coloured sprinkles if you fancy.  

TaDa. Magical cake is born. 

Enjoy unicorns.


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe