I FINISHED UNIVERSITY!

6/04/2014


The last week was one of the most stressful, hectic and horrible weeks of my life. It was also pretty wonderful. Almost two weeks ago I finished university... and I'm still recovering. My undergraduate degree is complete and in July I'll be graduating! Over the last month I endured crazy study hours, hardly any sleep, a hell of a lot of take away, hardly any fruit or veg (this has got to be one of the saddest), and countless hours of Netflix.  

I studied (creative) advertising, which no is not like marketing. It's basically a degree in ideas, words (copy) and visual representation (art direction). It is a way of lateral thinking and helping others to see things differently. (and yes, of course, it is a form of selling.) And man is it hard, but it's flipping satisfying. I love it.

So we don't sit exams or write essays. We have a ton of projects (coursework) and a degree show that needed to be done. It looks a lot like an art gallery but with advertisements instead. A great deal of my work is 3D and very 'craft and design' focused. 

I'm so proud and happy with what I've created. Because of the craft like nature I used a lot of the uni resources in getting my show ready: the laser cutter, woodwork, papercraft, vinyls, posters, ettcccc. I loved being so involved in so many departments of our 'School of Art, Design & Performance' instead of just the Advertising Studio. I just feel sad that it took me until the end of my time here to take full advantage of it!! I strongly encourage all students to make the most of all the resources and skilled people around them.

University has taught me so many things, a lot of which are not related to my course but are life lessons! (How ominous..) I have loved it. Since I was four years old I have been in education, and now I am not. It's going to take some getting used to. Yet some of my best memories and exciting moments have been things I've experienced or achieved during the crazy long summer holidays we get. So basically, life is now a massive summer holiday to fill with wonderful opportunities, and I'm pretty darn excited.  

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe