Deciding Whether Or Not To Go To University At Eighteen

8/31/2014



Of the many life lessons university taught me there was one that was highly ironic: You do not have to go to university straight away. It now seems the social norm to enter straight into higher education after sixth form or college at the age of eighteen. Picking a very specific field of study, a new home and going off on the adventure that is student life for the next three years. And that was exactly what I did. While it was very much my decision and I wouldn't go back and change it, my perspective on making such a choice has definitely changed. At eighteen it felt like if I didn't go to university, what on earth would I do?! I would have failed through the eyes of my younger self. 

And wrongly so.  

University is not simply a means to an end, but an experience. And a difficult one at that. One where I learnt what it meant to feel true loneliness, to hate cheap noodles, to become content and happy with myself, to see the stark contrast in the differences between cultural and religious (or non) groups, to work hard but to also allow yourself to play hard and celebrate your triumphs. 

A lot of our lives are spent figuring things out. Planning for the future and missing the now. I definitely haven't adopted the YOLO mentality. (For a short while I actually used the phrase ironically to cringe people out, definitely secretly enjoyed it ;) #guiltypleasure) And that is something I want to change slightly. Even though I love planning out my schedule, these crazy long spontaneous uni summer holidays have been some the my most exciting and fulfilling parts of my uni experience. 

There has been a massively significant week in my life in July. Three major events happened, yet it took me until the last one to actually contemplate on all of these things and revel in them. That's one reason why I enjoy writing this blog! It makes me stop and reflect on all these incredible experiences I get to have!   

Sometimes it is ok to be selfish. 

I have two younger sisters and when I have a family of my own I hope to share these thoughts with them. To tell them not to be too stressed. That their whole life does not ride on this one decision right now. University will always be there. Student loans will always be there. If you want to backpack across Europe, I will support you. If you want to go straight to university, I will support you. If you want to go to work, I will support you. If you want to figure out who you are, I will support you. If you want to go volunteer, I will support you. If you want to serve a full time mission for the church, I will support you. Regardless I will always love you.


You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. Love this post! I am the only one out of my friends not deciding to go to uni for now and the last bit made me realise that it will always be there, and I should stick to the decision that I've made.

    www.niftyneeka.blogspot.co.uk

    neeka x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is so wonderful, I want to give you a hug! I'm so glad I could've helped in any small way. I understand how it's such a massive, stressful decision. <3

      Delete
  2. This is so wonderful, I want to give you a hug! I'm so glad I could've helped in any small way. I understand how it's such a massive, stressful decision. <3

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe