Embracing the Chef

11/21/2014


I've always been a fussy eater. Once my friend even made a list of all the things I didn't like so she would never accidentally serve it to me when I came to visit. I however, never thought I was that particular. I just liked certain things :) and not others. I can never understand it when people say you just have to get used to certain foods. Why would I continue eating something if I didn't like it?! 

When my partner first discovered my 'unusual' palette he was utterly bewildered! (Especially as he used to be a chef.) And ever since it's been a mission of his to convince me of the flavour enhancing properties of things such as onions, mushrooms and peppers (to name a few). Cooking them up in various fancy ways, helping me to branch out and try new foods and enrich my overall dining experience. While I'm still not a huge fan of onions, I'm starting to see what he means. 

Even at restaurants I would always be that awkward person altering their order to take out ingredients and add others. But my very perspective on food has begun to change. I've started to trust the judgements of those who have created the menu and carefully put together it's recipes. In hindsight it seems silly to disregard the talents and skills of those who prepare and essentially design our food. 

Menus are given to us for a reason! I have loved food for a long time, but I'm certainly no expert (unless maybe in chocolate or dessert aha). Now when I order food at a restaurant I always try to consider the talents of those involved and be open to trying new foods or food combinations. It's important to trust other's expertise and have creations as they are intended. Although of course I still go for my favourites and mix them up according to my own preference. 

Related Posts

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe