Making the Most of Your Priesthood Leaders

11/07/2014


Most churches will have some form of hierarchy. Leaders who ensure the church organisation is running smoothly and teaching doctrine in keeping with the word of God. Taking on the responsibility of leading the church itself and in turn the people in a righteousness manner and helping to maintain the integrity of it's fundamentals as an organisation  They come under many names; Pope, Prophet, Priest, Bishop, Minster, etc. The majority of whom are good and wonderful people. They do a lot for the church in which they work and often the community as a whole, but have you ever considered what they can do for you?

When I was younger I always thought that going to see the Bishop was a terrible thing. That it meant you had committed a great sin and that everyone would know. I have gone on to learn that that is utterly false. Church leaders are not there to condemn, belittle or cause you to feel terrible. Often if you do feel any of those things, it is a result of whatever wrong doing you have performed. Aside from situations where you are in the wrong, there are hundreds of reasons for you to seek a meeting with your church leader or for them to seek one with you. They are there to be your support, to encourage, to offer advice as a servant of the Lord, to bless, to be a friend. 

When I moved to university three years ago I didn't know anyone in my new congregation. At first it was incredibly difficult and strange. I had to remember why I attend church. That while I love the social aspect, it was truly for my faith, learning and because God has commanded it. I gradually got to know people and flourished while I was there. I eventually fell in love with that little congregation! During my time at university I began dating my wonderful partner and he later decided to join the church and was baptised. During this whole process I had countless meetings with church leaders. Chats about how school was going, how my leadership position was going, how can I help those I volunteer with, how my partner is doing, how we can work together, how my faith was doing and simply whether I was ok! Everytime I went away feeling renewed. I was entitle to divulge as much or as little information as I liked, to initiate meetings or decline them. However they were always an option just incase I needed them.

In The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints the majority of church leaders whether it be Bishops for local congregations or those higher in the organisational hierarchy, are not paid. Whether or not they were suited for or considered for any kind of leadership position is greatly prayed about by other leaders 'higher up' in the church and then they are very kindly asked whether or not they will accept the position. To volunteer in a very time-consuming, intense capacity to help God's children. We believe that God personally chooses each person for all positions within his church. We can know for ourselves whether or not he chose them through personal prayer and receiving a spiritual witness through his Holy Ghost.     

Hebrews 2:4 "God also bearing them witness, both with signs and wonders, and with divers miracles, and gifts of the Holy Ghost, according to his own will?"

I have learnt that it is incredibly important not to be afraid to ask for your Bishop's help, it doesn't matter if it's with a huge life decision, something that you feel is silly, like there isn't very much wrong or you just want someone to voice things over with. Sometimes a quite chat with the servant of the Lord is just what you need. 

Helpful Resources

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe