The One Ring | A More Formal Proposal

2/22/2015


Our engagement came in a time of struggle. Deciding not to go on a mission changed both our futures for the better. I love that we both came to a final decision at the same time and both expressed our final decision to make this commitment together. Resulting in the showing of a mission decline letter and a hairbo ring on one knee. 

My teenage self would have cringed so hard at the idea of a hairdo ring proposal I'm sure, but ironically it made it even more perfect. It was the pure expression of this step without the distraction of beautiful jewellery. Yet as time went on I craved a real ring. Not for the materialistic nature of what it physically would be but what it meant. To be able to physically carry Bernard with me always, to have something that symbolised our love and commitment. It was always incredibly important for me that Bernard would choose our engagement ring, yet I wanted it to show how well he knew me as a person rather than generic design. I knew he'd choose wonderfully without my help but offered him some inspirational pictures if he wished.

We found Etsy to be an amazing resource for beautiful rings at reasonable prices, while highstreet jewellers didn't seem to offer anything unique or fitting enough. Rosegold has become my favourite mental (clearly a typical hipster) and I found the most perfect ring, which I didn't actually tell Bernard about. I can't even remember if it is one that I sent him to look at. While I was holding out hope for a beautiful ring, I knew that no matter what I would absolutely love it simply because he chose it and what it meant. 

Deciding to stay and our getting engaged at the beginning of October 2014 meant getting a real ring would probably take a while. I knew roughly when he ordered one and abit about the decision. He had found the perfect ring and it wouldn't be here until after December. 

I simply couldn't wait to have that ring! We hadn't even announced our engagement on facebook yet and had only told close friends and family. It was so wonderful to see everyone's reactions and share the news with them personally. We even went to a friend's wedding who was the groom and he joked that we should get married next and did a dance to Beyonce Single Ladies. Mentally debating 'Do we tell him?!' aha. We waited until he got back from his honeymoon. Safe to say he was so excited and happy for us! 

Mid December we went on our annual date to the Manchester Christmas markets. Bernard walked us round near Selfridges (just around the corner from where he proposed with the hairbo ring) and stopped dead. "Why have you stopped walking?!" He turns to me without really saying anything and pulls out a box. So nervous I could hardly look down. "No, no, no! I'm scared!" aha. 


Marriage is such a huge milestone no matter how old or prepared you are. But as he put that ring on my finger and I looked up at him, I was filled with so much love and peace. I could feel the Holy Spirit confirming to me the joy and eternal happiness of what we were doing. I knew in myself that this man would not only be my husband and someone I would love and hold more dearly than anyone else, but my best friend and eternal companion.


It was a choice that we made together and a perfect one at that. I am so excited to be starting our adventure.

*He also found and chose the same ring that I thought was the most perfect one! #blessings ;) 

Related Posts

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe